Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Alumni race results

Sorry for the delay in posting these. I was waiting on more details to fill in some blanks.

At the Mohawk Hudson River Marathon in Albany, Steve Hicks debuted with a sterling 2:37:13, good for 2nd place overall and a $300 cash prize. Steve's story of how he got to the exact time goal he was shooting for is very interesting. I will not retell it here, but shoot him a call, text or email and I'm sure he'll fill you in on the gory details.

It was a great day for the Hicks family. Steve's wife and former Marist runner Christine ran the half marathon in 1:40:38.

Steve's dad, William Hicks, sizzled the course in 1:37:41. Steve's mom, Sharon Hicks, ran equally well in 1:51:49.

At the Hartford Marathon and Half Marathon:

Matt (CT) Szymaszek (did I spell your name right, dude? I butchered it for 4 years straight!) smoked the half marathon in 1:14:17, and then repped the Marist Alumni Racing Team for several minutes in a TV interview. Nicely done on both fronts, CT, and look out, Philly Marathon!

I reminisced with CT today about how it was just a mere 4 years ago (the last Disney year) when I made that wildly unpopular (and, ultimately, WRONG) decision to leave CT home from the 14-man travel squad to Disney back in 04. Since that time, CT has done nothing but prove me wrong (I'm totally cool with that!) and showed what a marvelous runner and hard worker he is at the sport. Although I did not show the faith in him I should have back in that decision time way back when, I always knew he had it in him, and I am proud to see him continue to blossom in the sport. He has only just begun.

Joe Tarantello had a strong marathon debut of 2:57:54. He emailed me his race report but I have misplaced it (shocking, I know). When I find it, I will post it here. Anyway, a nice job by Joey Tat! Next stop, Boston.

LAST BUT NOT LEAST:

Justin Harris burst onto the multi-sport scene in a big way on Sunday at a duathlon (run-bike-run) called the American Zofingen. The race consists of a rugged (read: crazy hilly and tough) 5-mile trail run at Mohonk Preserve, followed by a crazy, insanely hard 29-mile cycle, and finishing with the same, 5-mile trail run.

Official results have not been posted, at least I cannot find them. Jut trashed the field! He won by 12 minutes and broke the previous race record by more than 15 minutes. His eye-popping run splits were 32:07 and 33:0x (not sure), far faster than anyone expected or has ever done.

Everyone thinks/thought Jut was/is a great runner; what we all knew and know is that Jut is a beast on the bike as well.

Now, the duathlon world knows all about Jut.

Obviously, as always, I am extremely proud of all these results and more.

Blog on, brothers and sisters.

No comments: