Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Joey Tat's race report

I found Joe Tarantello's post-Hartford email. Here it is for the world to see ...

hey coach,

I thought I'd let you know how things went and maybe you can post it for the other guys. So overall it went OK I guess. I took your advice and went out slower than goal pace. I came through the half at 1:26:04 and felt absolutely amazing, wasn't hurting at all and just felt fantastic.

So I ran with this other fellow for a while and we were banging out 6:30s very comfortably until mile 22. I would say up until 22 I was on pace for 2:52-2:53 but this is when everything started to fall apart. (Coach Pete interjects: Been there, done that!)

Right after the 22 mile marker both my legs started cramping up uncontrollably and so from there to the finish I had to stop a couple times every mile to stretch, though it didn't do much. Basically I stumbled in the last 4 miles and finished in 2:57.51. I definitely lost a lot of time those last 4 miles but it was just excruciating pain.

I'm not sure if it was dehydration because I felt like I was hydrating enough throughout the race or if it was a lack of enough long runs. I think next time I will throw in a few more 20-22 milers because I think that was the reason. Overall though I'm pleased. I got under 3 and qualified for boston. I'm just a little disappointed because I was on pace for a really good time and breathing wise I wasn't even that tired by the end, it was just my legs that gave way.

It was a learning experience though so now I have more of an idea what to expect for next time.

Coach Pete commentary to Joe T: Again, great job. Your self-analysis/critique is right on the mark. Overall, you had a solid, first-marathon experience and achieved the primary goals of sub-3:00 and Boston qualifier.

However, the lessons are clear: More mileage and more longer long runs. There is no doubt that is the missing ingredient. This is not to say your training was not sound; it was excellent given the time you had. You just need to do more of it, for longer.

Easy to write; hard to do. I have no doubt you'll get it done in the future.

Note to other alums: Feel free to send your post-race reports to me via email and I will post it on the blog.

1 comment:

matt walsh said...

My favorite part of this post-race analysis is when Joe, in true Joe T. form, says: "I was running alongside this other fellow."

!

Well done, Joey.