Friday, July 8, 2022

Not in Lake George!

Whoa. It’s been a long time between posts. Back in the heyday of my blog postings, I would average more than a post a day for an entire year. No such quantity these days, not even close. Not sure why. We’ve posted about this, guiltily, several times. I appreciate those of you who remain loyal to the blog, checking regularly for posts; at the same time, I apologize for the trickling volume of posts – especially during these down times. In the past, the assumption (and, I’ve heard it from a lot of people!) is that we were in Lake George on or around the July 4 holiday. Not the case! For years, our annual family vacation at the lake centered around the holiday. But alas, nothing lasts forever. The place we went to all those years was sold and converted from the dilapidated old cabins we loved into very modern (and privately owned) log homes – still with the great lake view, but now no longer accessible to folks like us. We moved down the road to another place. But seasonal rentals being what they are, the July 4 week is perpetually booked so we slid a few weeks later in July. Now, THAT place has sold, and we have found another place, and now we are slid into August, crowding dangerously close to the start of our preseason cross country camp.
 
The lack of posts lately – and in many recent summers – probably stems from a disjointed flow to the days. Summer schedule lacks the structure of the school year. This is neither good nor bad; it just is. I find myself far less hunkered down in my upstairs closet office on my laptop and far more downstairs without the keyboard and/or out and about doing … whatever is next to do. This weekend provides a little more structure and sociability. We have our summer team BBQ on Saturday afternoon, and on Sunday I have a Palace Diner reunion with many of my former colleagues from the sports department of the Poughkeepsie Journal. That’s a great tradition and an old-school way of staying connected to a great group of rapidly aging men from a memorable period of my life. Our driveway has gotten crowded with more vehicles because we have more drivers in the household now; keeping them in order and running properly has been the focus of the past several weeks as well. And there have been numerous short trips down to New Jersey for family issues and activities. OK, now I’m just rambling. Again, thanks for those who hang in there and keep checking the blog. 

No comments: