Tuesday, May 10, 2022

MAAC Championships: A few more thoughts

 Thanks to my good friend, Marist Sports Information Director Mike Ferraro, for pointing out that our men's point total at MAACs was the best in 12 years, since the 2010 championships (where the men scored 65 points and also finished in fifth place ... but that was out of five teams!). Our sprints carried us in the points. Glenmour Leonard-Osbourne garners a lot of the attention, and rightfully so! Glen won the 100, 200 and was part of the 4x100 that got second in a school record; he was recognized as the MAAC Most Outstanding Performer (Track) as well as MAAC Rookie of the Year (Track) -- yes, he is a freshman eligibility! But remember. That 4x100 consisted of three other top-level sprinters! And our roster for the upcoming IC4A Championships is loaded with sprint athletes. Loaded. It's a new era and we're proud of it, for sure. 

Also, a short note on the post-meet gathering we had at Rider, celebrating the old coach (me) for 30-plus years of service (for those keeping score at home, this completes Year 31 for me). It was organized by parents and Marist administrators, and it was very much appreciated. I'm grateful for the attention and the love, it is humbling and honestly a bit confusing to me at first. The genesis of the idea was to celebrate the 30-year milestone, but obviously we couldn't do that last year. It had the feel of a retirement ceremony; in fact, some of my peers thought I was, in fact, retiring! Newsflash: I'm not. Not yet, at least. I'm definitely at the "year-to-year" phase of my career. But for now, I'm fired up for this coming week and the coming weeks and months leading up to the 2022-2023 cycle. Thanks again for all the love and support. 

No comments: