Sunday, March 20, 2022

Spring Break 2022

For the first time in three years, we had an actual Spring Break. You may recall that in 2020, “Spring Break” was extended for a week in advance of the pandemic that ensued after that. So it really wasn’t a Spring Break but rather the beginning of that long, strange Covid trip. You may recall that in 2021, there was no Spring Break, because the semester started later and we just plowed through till the end of May; you know, that Covid thing. Here in 2022, at least schedule-wise, we have been back to normal so far. I use the “so far” qualifier because, in case you haven’t noticed, the pandemic is kinda not over yet. Oh sure, we don’t have to wear masks anymore – although, I still sport my flannel neck gaiters and still pull them up in most public places, much to the ridicule of some people in my circle who think it’s a “waste of time” to do such things. But again, in case you’re done checking? More than 1,000 Americans a day are still dying from this disease. And oh yeah, there’s a new variant emerging. But hey. If you are still reading, you’re probably like, “give it up already, old man, will ya?” Yeah well.
 
So anyway. Back to Spring Break 2022, which concludes today. The inevitable, “what did you do for Spring Break” questions will emerge this coming week, with the resumption of practice and the relative sprint to the finish that is our outdoor track season. At the risk of boring you with play-by-play details of this brief time off, I’ll give you some highlights:
 
--Warren Haynes solo, show at Ridgefield Playhouse in nearby Ridgefield, CT. Great show, as always, from the greatest musician on the planet (obviously, my personal bias). I’m at a point where this is about all I can tolerate with regard to live music. A quiet, mellow evening watching my favorite musician. How quiet? At one point, I closed my eyes to groove to the music and probably fell asleep for about 30 seconds. Complete relaxation. Had a nice dinner in Ridgefield prior to the show with my old college roommate, the legendary Sacred Heart University track coach Christian Morrison. Great way to start the week.
--On a snowy Saturday, the day after the show, I was able to see some dear old friends and Forever Foxes at the home of Kelley and Billy Posch, to celebrate the christening of their beautiful baby girl, Charlotte. Great food and even better company. So grateful to have been able to get out there and see them, despite the miserable weather.
--A lot of driving up and down the Thruway. North, to see my daughter at Siena (who is now on her own Spring Break!). South, to see my mother (assisted living) and brother (nursing home) in New Jersey, where Covid restrictions at both places have eased to the point where I can actually visit, after two years of almost no visitation for both. So! That was very, very good to be able to do that.
--Getting together with some old friends locally, most notably my dear old pal and former coaching partner Phil Kelly. Phil and I don’t see each other as much as we should, so that was good.
 
Again, with the full-on sprint of the upcoming season, it was good to be able to make time for all of these things, with the hopes of continuing such habits in the coming months, in this sort-of-but-not-really post-Covid reality.

No comments: