Tuesday, December 14, 2021

About race splits

Although we don’t have another meet for a month, I wanted to get this off my chest. It’s about race splits. Race splits are near and dear to me. I’m a numbers guy and race splits help to make sense of races – during them, but especially after they have been completed. I do post the splits on the blog but that process has gotten a bit murky lately. Most track meet timers now post electronic splits in real time through their live results links. Those splits are obviously far more accurate than my crude notebook-and-pen (and fading eyesight and slower reflexes) method. So, my internal dilemma is this: Do I even post splits on the site anymore? Should I just post a link to the race results? Also! Should I even bother with writing down the splits while coaching? While it certainly would be easier on both fronts to do this – stop typing up splits and stop taking them at races – I feel I will probably revert to what I have done for years. Which is? Write the splits down and (eventually) post them on the blog. The write-them-down-on-the-clipboard thing, I think, will always have utility. Athletes and coaches can easily refer to my rudimentary chicken scratch to instantly analyze races, as opposed to burying our collective heads in our collective phones – which we do anyway, most of the time. The posting to the blog thing? That might diminish through time, for several reasons: 1. Our athletes almost never read the splits (or the blog, for that matter), and really, it’s about them and it’s for them … so if they are not engaged in the splits process, what’s the point? 2. Alert, loyal alums who really want to see the splits will find their way to the timing Web sites anyway. 3. It takes a lot of time and energy on the bus ride home, when we are usually in a mentally drained and sleep-deprived state. So yeah, that’s where I’m at with that topic – an admittedly boring post about a boring topic to most … but not all!

2 comments:

peter said...

Did the Blog post the complete marks from each attempt, (trials and finals) of Lukas Bussetti's performance at the BU opener meet on December 4, 2021, that broke the oldest INDOOR track and field record- men's long jump?

Being an alert, loyal Alum, I had to look it up on the timing Web site...(his best jump came on his third attempt, and he had good improvement and progression from jump one to jump three).

https://www.lancertiming.com/results/winter22/BU1204/results_29.html#round_1

If the complete series of attempts from field event performances are not written up in the Blog, then I do not think you should be listing splits for the running events.

Conor said...

Pete, most of the race result pages from yesteryear are defunct, this blog is my first resource when looking up old results. Whichever way make you happy is how you should proceed, but my vote is to keep the splits when able!