Monday, September 14, 2020

What's going on

 What’s going on?

Out West, wildfires are burning out of control. And still … and still … and still … there are deniers of climate change. I know I may be dipping my toe into politically charged waters. But please. Science is science. This isn’t red vs. blue, black vs. white. Climate change – and its historically devastating effects – is staring us in the face, breathing down our necks. Who’s to blame? I’m not smart enough to figure it out. But please. No more climate change denying. Replace that mental energy with prayers for the scores of families and states that are being affected by this. It’s scary and sad.

What’s going on?

More on the weather. Out in Colorado last week? One day it was in the 90s and the next it was snowing like crazy. That’s not necessarily climate change. That’s just Colorado. Back here, we are in that typically glorious September weather pattern – the subtle change from summer to autumn. The 19th anniversary of 9/11/2001 just passed. I spent about an hour in my class last Friday discussing this. In my Thursday class, I had the students write a reflection paper on 9/11. We are doing our best to keep the memory alive. That fateful Tuesday was a picture perfect day, kind of like the ones we are experiencing now. Beautiful weather that sadly reminds us of those terrifyingly tragic days and months way back in 2001.

What’s going on?

College athletics! Syracuse vs. Army West Point in cross country on a glorious Saturday a few days ago. Some college football games. The NFL. Major League baseball hasn’t had much news in terms of Covid positives. NBA playoffs, NHL playoffs. Golf. Tennis. It’s all good and confusing news. Good, because sports makes us feel normal. Confusing, because there is no normal around here, as we train in small groups (which is fine) and wearing masks (not neck gaiters! they are not “approved” face coverings!) every single mile, on and off campus, long runs, short runs, fartlek runs, tempos, strides, all of it -- even when we are plenty socially distanced (no comment).

What’s going on?

Jogging with one of my early-morning buddies last week, we got to talking about the usual. Virus. Sports. November election. This guy, he’s a really good friend. He consumes a lot more social media than I do, so he’s exposed to a lot more … crap out there. Politically and socioeconomically, we are not identical but we are somewhat closely aligned. You know what he said, at the end of our easy short jog? “This sh*t’s gonna get real ugly, Pete. I’m thinking of getting myself a gun, a rifle.” Wow! I am not anti-gun – I have several friends and acquaintances who hunt and I respect their right to do that. But firearms for self-defense for potential social unrest? Forgive me, but that’s a bit much. But then again? It’s 2020.

What’s going on?

Geez. I’m straying into some taboo topics today, huh?

What’s going on?

Clearly? A lot. We’ll always remember the year 2020, even though there are whole gobs of it that we’d surely love to forget. A lot going on, and we’ve got 3.5 months to go. What will go on during these ensuing few months, before the calendar mercifully flips? Who knows. It’s tempting to think that 2021 will be better; I’m holding fast to that notion. But much like weekly mileage, the calendar can be somewhat arbitrary.

What’s going on?

No comments: