Saturday, June 8, 2019

The voice of the Hudson Valley celebrates 25 years


Hard to believe, but it’s been almost exactly a decade since I stopped working full-time as a writer and editor at Dutchess County’s Finest Daily Newspaper. While I still believe in the power and importance of the type of community journalism that relatively small sheets like the one I worked at can and should provide, the sad truth is that with staffing gutted to the point of bare-bones necessities (if that), it is difficult to say that I miss the overworked/underpaid grind that it would have and has morphed into. What I do miss, however, are the connections I made through my work as a writer and an editor. Such is the nature of community journalism. We’re not breaking Watergate or the Pentagon Papers. More often than not, we were serving the readers, and the weekly recreational sports section that I wrote and edited fit that mold. So most days and evenings, my work was both rewarding and enjoyable. As a result, what I miss the most are the relationships that I formed with members of the community – good people doing good quietly.

This comes to mind after taking the short drive down to Fishkill on Friday afternoon to celebrate the 25th anniversary of Carl Garofolo’s “Hudson Valley Sports Talk” radio program. This is a show that we wrote about frequently. In addition, I was a guest on his show numerous times back when it was aired on Saturday mornings from the cramped studios of the “Nifty 950” WVHW-AM. Yes, AM radio (for you young’uns out there, look it up, it’s the static-filled stations that your uncles and grandfathers probably listened (or still listen) to. Side note: The first thing I check for when we get new leased vans in August are if they are equipped with AM radio, so I can listen to WFAN-660 AM. Anyway, Carl had a nice celebration of his show, which remarkably has endured through various iterations, locations and radio stations, and it has passed the test of time. Carl’s a good man; he volunteers tirelessly for so many non-profit organizations, acting as emcee for countless events like the Special Olympics and so much more. So it was good to get down there, pay homage to his staying power, and wistfully recall all that was good about my previous career. Congrats, Carl, and long may your voice endure in our area.

No comments: