Sunday, April 14, 2019

Bison Outdoor Classic: Visiting Matty’s grave


As many alert blog followers know, the Bucknell meet is one of the highlights of my coaching year, as well as our team’s schedule. It’s always a great meet with fast and friendly competition, at a truly wonderful venue. This year was no exception, as our results were filled with personal-best times and ECAC/IC4A qualifying marks. Happens every year. The outdoor magic carpet. The track, Christy Mathewson Memorial Stadium, is named after one of the greatest ballplayers who ever lived and a true American hero, a character in history of whom I am very fond. So yeah, Bucknell has a special place in my heart. We arrived at the track early on Sunday morning and there was a little time to spare, so I set out for a brisk walk, in search of a good cup of coffee and a little solitude before a long day at the track. As I was leaving the stadium parking lot, Bucknell head track coach Kevin Donner was driving in. He rolled down his window and said, “hey Pete, hop in, I’ll take you to Matty’s grave.” Donner is a big baseball historian and he knows I am too, so this was a treat. A short drive to the other side of campus and there we were. Donner said he comes to the gravesite every once in a while to pay his respects and for solitude, and sometimes admirers leave baseballs there. This was a big deal for me and made this morning walk extra special. I did a few laps around the cemetery on the mild and sunny morning (which would soon turn into a rain-soaked afternoon). And yes, I found a really good cup of coffee on the way back. Very, very neat way to spend the start of my day at one of the neatest places on our track schedule. OK!

No comments: