Monday, December 17, 2018

Conventional thinking

For someone who likes routine, early bedtimes and generally not straying too far from home – with the exception of track and cross country meets, of course – these next few weeks definitely will be out of my comfort zone. The first of the journeys begins today as I currently sit at Newark Airport awaiting a direct flight to San Antonio for the USTFCCCA convention. As you can surmise, I’m not a big “convention guy” – lots of meetings and socializing – but with the goading of my peers (especially in the MAAC), I have been convinced that it is important to attend. There are several new pieces of legislation on the table, which will have a direct impact on our program, and the only way to have our voice heard is to be here and to vote on them (voting is on Thursday). Plus, there are breakout sessions for both the MAAC and Northeast Region, which are important to attend. And there’s free food. And perhaps the biggest highlight will be making my boy Sami (Class of 2018, living and working in the Alamo) buy me dinner during the week. I left the house reluctantly this morning – an off week at home is like gold – but we’ll make the best of this week. And we’ll certainly enjoy the warmer temperatures!

No comments: