Friday, November 23, 2012

Recruiting made easy: NXN Regionals at Bowdoin Park

I have been told by well-meaning naysayers that I need to get out and recruit more frequently. Yeah. Yeah. I know. I know. I know! It makes sense. It’s just that, along with being a coach, I’m trying to be a husband and father as well. So it’s not an easy sell, after being away most weekends for meets, to bolt out of town to watch high school kids run in meets, when I can (and should) be home doing more non-track related things.

On Saturday, however, it’s a much easier sell, as the Nike Cross Nationals Northeast and New York Regional races come to our home course at Bowdoin Park. There will be many of our college coaching brethren at Bowdoin to recruit, most of whom have to travel a fair distance on their holiday weekend to watch high school kids run in this meet. We consider it very fortunate to have such a gold mine of recruiting as just a 25-minute ride from my home, on a holiday weekend. So yeah. I’ll be there. Recruiting off campus for a change, oddly enough. So there.

1 comment:

tcoulson said...

sell that "family man" routine to your recruits. I know you were not a family man when I came on your squad, but I always felt like you were family to me. The more the kids interested in Marist feel like it is home, the more they will want to make it their home.