Saturday, December 11, 2010

Joe Mac's insane plan

Thanks to Geist for the head’s up about Joe McElhoney’s very public quest to run a sub-5:00 mile each day consecutively for 26.2 (27, really) days. You can read all about it (WARNING: The language is quite salty) at Joe Mac’s wildly entertaining blog at this link.

I was aware of Joe Mac’s “Mecca Marathon,” because I like to keep tabs with our boy through his rambling, X-rated blog. But I hadn’t checked it in about a week, and I was not aware of the somewhat cult following this crazy challenge now has -- Geist said it’s front-page news on Let’s Run (LRC link here).

What I love about Joe Mac’s deal is that he is not letting this very public challenge get to his training. He could, but he is not. Mac is cranking the mileage, and I’m proud of him. He’s doing the sub-5:00 at the end of the prescribed day’s leg-thrashing. He could make it easier on himself. But he’s not. Of course, I’d like to see him take a “down” day each week – you know, maybe a light 6-7 miler followed by his Mecca Mile – but Joe Mac knows one gear: Full tilt. If there is something worth doing, it’s worth over-doing. That’s pretty much how Joe Mac operates.

I’m all about streaks, so I fully endorse this bizarrely masochistic plan. Bless his crazy heart. I hope he pulls it off. He’s got the cajones to do it. Stay tuned over in the Land of Bennu

1 comment:

Mac said...

Thanks for the quote of the week!