Tuesday, August 11, 2020

Fast food, fast running

The text came out of the blue and in desperate need of explanation, which followed in a rapid-fire series of more texts. Apparently, rising sophomore Daniel Czop set some sort of “world record” for something called the “Wendy’s 4-for-4 mile,” at the Bethpage High School track on Long Island. Rising junior Brendan Zeng, his teammate and fellow Commack High School graduate, established himself as fourth all-time in this rather dubious endeavor.

The details: Before each lap on a standard 400-meter track, you must consume Wendy’s products – three food items and one beverage. As an example, Czop went with the order of French fries, nuggets (4), a bacon cheeseburger (really?) and a Coke. Zeng went with a similar order: Fries, bacon cheeseburger (really?), nuggets (4) and a Coke. Eat fast food, run fast for a lap, and repeat. Czop finished in 6:46 and Zeng in 8:15.

They sent me a video of a previous Wendy’s 4-for-4 mile attempt, but I have yet to watch it. I have yet to Google this either, to verify if this is what we in the ultra world call a “Fastest Known Time” or FKT. And finally, be a nerdy track geek prone to this sort of minutia, I sit here wondering if they ran a full mile (1,609.34 meters, slightly longer than 4 laps on a standard 400-meter track) or 1,600 meters (which is commonly, and erroneously, referred to as “the mile” by most high school runners).

But alas, none of that really matters, does it? This sort of goofy melding of consumption and fast running has been going on for many years: Beer miles, Big Man races, New Paltz Pizza Challenge, Krispy Kreme Challenge … I’m sure I’m omitting many others. Congrats to Czop and Zeng for their “accomplishments.” They are pictured here with Pech, who is from Bethpage and I’m guessing witnessed this absurdity. Neat.

Update from Czop: They did run the full mile distance (nicely DONE) and the food was not random but rather a combo meal form Wendy's that's called 4 for 4 (hence the name of the "race"). Thanks for the clarifications!

2 comments:

Peter said...

Well done gentlemen.

Isabella Lucas said...

My ex-husband and I had always managed to stay friendly after our divorce in February 2017. But I always wanted to get back together with him, All it took was a visit to this spell casters website last December, because my dream was to start a new year with my husband, and live happily with him.. This spell caster requested a specific love spell for me and my husband, and I accepted it. And this powerful spell caster began to work his magic. And 48 hours after this spell caster worked for me, my husband called me back for us to be together again, and he was remorseful for all his wrong deeds. My spell is working because guess what: My “husband” is back and we are making preparations on how to go to court and withdraw our divorce papers ASAP. This is nothing short of a miracle. Thank you Dr Emu for your powerful spells. Words are not enough. here is his Email: emutemple@gmail.com or call/text him on his WhatsApp +2347012841542

He is also able to cast spell like 1: Lottery 2: Conceive 3: Breakup 4: Divorce 5: Cure for all kinds of diseases and viruses.