Friday, August 12, 2011

Sprinters turned road racers

There were many highlights and memories with last year's inaugural Red Fox Trot 5K. One of the coolest for me was seeing Marist Track Alum Mike Cocca run in the race.

Cocca, as you will remember, was an awesome sprinter on our team. And when I say "sprinter," I mean short sprinter. I think we did bump him up to the 400 a few times in the 4x400, but it was very reluctantly. So anyway, it was really cool to see Cocca running in a 5K.

And now today, my email inbox has a message from recent graduate John Kristie, who said he is signed up for the Fox Trot and wants an Alumni Racing Team singlet. Kristie was a sprinter as well, his primary event being 400 meters.

Regular readers of this fancy blog know how proud I am of all alumni runners. It is especially gratifying to see sprinters stay with the sport after graduation. It doesn't happen nearly as often as with the distance athletes. So when it does, it is certainly worth noting.

Once again: The Red Fox Trot 5K is on Saturday, September 10. We are hoping for a large alumni, family and friends turnout. Sign up now or email me for a race application.

1 comment:

Steve said...

I am often amazed by the number of former sprinters I've heard from over the years who have turned to distance running. Many of them have even run marathons. Who would have thought.