Friday, September 12, 2008

Van Talk

Because of the nature of our program, I (we) spend a fair amount of time in vans -- transporting to and from practice venues mostly, but also to meets in the winter and spring seasons as well.

The past few years, Marist has provided us with not-so-subtle, big white vans with Kansas (Kansas?!?) license plates. They are fantastic vans -- usually new and powerful, because they are leased.

Anyway, the past few years -- probably starting sometime around the Harris/Schab/Prinz Era -- Van Talk reached legendary levels.

Van Talk: What's Spoken In The Van, Stays In The Van.

Mostly, I'm a listener. Most of what I hear is hilarious and insightful; sometimes shocking; always entertaining.

Well, my friends, Van Talk has reached new heights now that our men's and women's programs have merged. The men's and women's teams practice together on an almost daily basis. As a result, we are traveling together on a nearly daily basis, which is fantastic.

On Thursday, our workout was at Bowdoin Park (perhaps our next poll question?). Since Coach Chuck works at RCK and that is very close to Bowdoin, I decided to load up the van with men AND women, along with the other cars in our caravan, and away we went.

Van Talk is now co-ed! Naturally, as the maturity level of the men's team continues to plummet while their running gets faster, the level of Van Talk has gotten more interesting. I would have to say the biggest ringleader in Van Talk is currently sophomore Tim Keegan. Now, I know Timmy's mom is a regular blog reader. And so I must interject to Mrs. Keegan that Tim is still the good (and goofy) guy as always.

But alas, I cannot reveal anything further. Because, as we know:

What's Spoken In The Van, Stays In The Van.

4 comments:

eleanor keegan said...

I thought I was a "discreet" blog reader, though I guess it was obvious at Bowdoin Pk. when I recognized your handsome son Joey.
~Eleanor Keegan

Justin said...

I miss the Van Talk. We had some deep conversations about the opposite sex in there and the fact that it is now co-ed makes me a little suspicious of the qaulity of the converstations. Not that I dislike being around the Marist Women's team, its just that the van was a nice place to escape from everything else except your male counterparts. However, change is usually a good thing so keep up the talking and the outragious converstations!

Jut

matt walsh said...

Pete..please clarify your quote that "the maturity level of the men's team continues to plummet." Because, looking at the roster, I would be hard-pressed to find anyone that would act as immature as Prinz and I in the same van.

(Though I will concede that they are much, much faster.)

BQuinn said...

i for one do not know how some of the many games we played in the vans can continue. i'm still quite skeptical about this merger.