Wednesday, March 25, 2020

Today is …

What day is today? My watch, my phone, my laptop … they all constantly remind me of the date and time. Yes, I get that. But with the usual rhythms of life untracked, I do have to think about it. Like, when I got out of the shower, I paused and thought, “wait, is today Wednesday? Or Thursday?” I sometimes feel this disconnect during the summer and other times when the team is not around. Talk about a rhythm to our days … when we have practices and meets to guide our calendar, there’s a certain autopilot mode we get into. We know what the day is, what it entails, where we are going, how many vans we need, meal money, etc. That’s all unhooked now. Similarly, in the summer and other breaks, I have the rhythm of my morning running group, the Hyde Park Early Birds. Mondays it’s CVS parking lot, an easy and flat 6 miles; Wednesdays is Netherwood, a hard and hilly 7 miles; Fridays is Marist, the College Hill run or some other Poughkeepsie-based run, usually 6 miles and usually some hills. We have group text reminders; our start time hovers on or around the 5:30 a.m. timeframe. Today would have been Netherwood. It is not. We are following our governor’s order for solitary exercise. No group runs. We are taking this seriously. So yeah, I had to remember that today is Wednesday, even though there was no lung-busting Netherwood run. And tomorrow is Thursday. And Friday, we will NOT be meeting at Marist. Or having a pre-meet team dinner. Or requesting meal money for the Monmouth Season Opener meet on Saturday. Which, as we all know, is not happening.

No comments: