Thursday, March 26, 2020

An interview with Father Jacob Bertrand Janczyk



As we continue to try to expand the breadth and scope of this blog during this pandemic crisis, I came up with the idea of conducting email interviews with alums who can help us navigate our way through this uncertain time. First on my short list was Fr. Jacob Bertrand Janczyk, and I was thrilled when he agreed to take the bait. As I suspected, he did an amazing job with these questions – he went above and beyond. These two pictures (above, in 2019 and below, during the 2009 cross country season) were taken almost exactly 10 years apart. Here, then, is the complete interview with him.

Fr. Jacob Bertrand Janczyk, O.P. is a Marist alumnus (Class of 2010) and ran cross country and track during his time at Marist. Fr. Jacob Bertrand is a Catholic priest and a member of the Order of Preachers (commonly known as the Dominicans), a quasi-monastic religious community founded by St. Dominic de Guzman in 1216. The Dominicans are known for their lives of contemplation and study of theology and their preaching and teaching.

For those who don't know you, describe your time at Marist -- athletically and academically. What were your highlights as a runner, your fondest memories as an athlete and a student and any other thoughts or memories from your time here at Marist.

I graduated from Marist with a BS in Biomedical sciences and a minor in philosophy in 2010. I ran for Marist the four years that I was there. In high school, I was at home on the cross country course, but really loved the track in college. Indoors I ended up running a lot of 1k’s and miles, and outdoors I steepled. 

Of course there are highlights that stick out in my mind. Running a PR at any point is always memorable. More than particulars, the most significant memories are less the accomplishments, and certainly more the relationships and friendships on the team and on campus. I’m sure that’s a pretty universal experience for a lot of us alums.

Again more background: Describe briefly your path to the religious life, how it was received by friends and family, the 7-year process and what and where you are doing what you are doing now.

I never thought about the priesthood or religious life growing up. My family is Catholic, but not particularly devout. It was at Marist that I first thought that God might be calling me to the priesthood. As far as I can remember, the idea first crossed my mind early in my sophomore year, but it took a good while for me to consider this as a real possibility.

Fr. Richard LaMorte, the former chaplain, was extremely helpful. I didn’t think that I wanted to live diocesan or parish life, so he suggested that I look at religious life. He had grown up with a Dominican friar of my Province in the Bronx, so that was the connection for me. In February of my junior year I went on a vocation retreat in Washington, DC at the Dominican House of Studies (our seminary), and in April decided to apply. I actually received word that I was accepted on the old McCann track just before practice during intercession of my senior year.

I entered the order in 2010. Our studies and formation is a 7-year process. As religious, we profess the vows of poverty, chastity, and obedience. I made my simple (temporary) vows in 2011, solemn (final) vows in 2014. I was ordained a deacon in 2016 and a priest in 2017. I was assigned as the assistant Catholic chaplain at Dartmouth College after my ordination until the summer of 2018, when I was assigned as the Director of Vocations for my Province (basically the admissions director) and am currently living at our priory in Washington, DC.

My decision to enter religious life and study for the priesthood was always supported by those closest to me. I filled in my friends at Marist on this slowly. My family, particularly my parents, were quite reticent and not terribly excited. But, as time has gone and they’ve gotten to know what my life is like, they’ve come around.

How has running guided you throughout your life -- high school, college and then post-collegiately as a religious?

Like many people reading this blog, running has always been important in my life. I started running in high school and loved it from the beginning. My closest friends have always been from my teams. I probably don’t need to explain here all that much.

Entering religious life changed running a good bit. I am still able to run, though I’m certainly more of a hobby jogger at this point. One of the other friars that I entered with ran for a D3 school and ran a handful of marathons so we’ve run a bunch together. There have been some talented runners who have entered since, so there is certainly a small culture of running amongst the friars in DC. I was able to run the Philadelphia Marathon in 2014 and the last race I ran was 5k Walkway Over the Hudson in 2017.

How has the current Covid-19 situation impacted your freedom of movement -- can you run, what are you allowed or not allowed to do, etc?

The Order is global, but divided into provinces. My province is basically the northeast quarter of the country. Ohio and Kentucky are our western most states, and Kentucky and Virginia our southernmost. We are about 300 friars in total, and though the average age of friars in the Province is quite young, we do have many older friars. So, the Province has basically taken shelter in place precautions for almost two weeks now.

There are about 70 friars in the priory here in Washington (Domincans are “friars” and we live in priories whereas monks live in monasteries). Our superior has closed the priory to any guests and we have been limited to essential travel from the priory. The seminary classes have continued for the brothers and non-Dominican professors and students are attending remotely. Because we are such a large community, we assist the parishes in the archdiocese a lot, but aren’t allowed to do that currently.

Life in the community has continued. Our schedule of prayers and Mass for the community is the same (we’re in the chapel 2.5-3 hours a day). Classes are the same for the most part. We have a good deal of property for being in the city, so we aren’t trapped inside. At this point we’ve been allowed off the property to walk and run. 

The situation has been quite frustrating because, as priests, our ability to minister and serve the people of God has been severely cut off, both by secular and ecclesial provisions. A man is ordained a priest to function as another Christ, to mediate between God and man, particularly when people are experiencing difficulties. We simply aren’t able to do that in many ways. And, like most things outside of one’s control, there’s a feeling of helplessness here.

What advice can you give to us all on how to cope with the anxiety, stress, social isolation, economic impact/fear ... all of it ... in the coming days, weeks, months?

I am certainly no expert here and in many ways trying to figure that out for myself, but perhaps some general principles of religious life might be helpful.

Religious life is often known for its regularity and discipline. The idea here is that we remove any obstacles from our pursuit of Christ, even small things like making decisions about schedules. There is something to be said about maintaining some regularity to the day to keep some normalcy alive.

Growth in the spiritual life is accompanied by a healthy sense of detachment. We only have control over certain things and it is those things that should have our focus and attention. Excessive worry and helplessness really gets a hold of us when we are consumed by things that we can’t control.

Even though we may be isolated physically, we can still work acts of charity for others. Pray for others. Call family and friends. It’s always dangerous to create a world in which we are the center. Nothing good comes from nurturing egocentrism.

Finally, pray. Pray regularly. Nothing escapes our Lord’s providence, not even our prayers. Fr. Jacques Philippe is one of my favorite spiritual authors. Check out one of his books. They’re short, beautiful, and helpful. I’d recommend Searching for and Maintaining Peace and Interior Freedom.

How has faith guided you, not only throughout your life but in this current time of crisis?

Faith is a gift.; it’s not something that we can create for ourselves. To question the purpose of life is a cliche and it’s also a question that has already been answered. We are created with an intellect and a will, with the ability to know and to love. In this we image God. And though we can know and love the things of this world, ultimately, these powers ought to be directed to God- to know and to love him.

This, though, doesn’t mean life is black and white. All of us have different experiences here. I’ve been a Dominican for almost 10 years and I’d like to think that my life of faith has matured, and grown, and deepened, but who knows. What I do know is that our Lord loves us dearly, so much so that he died on the cross for us.

I once heard Christ described as “Divine Stability.” I love that image. In the chaos of the world, there is but one thing unchanging and forever. And we’re made for that. Each of us. Without exception. Growth in faith, conversion, is really about our willingness to allow our lives to revolve around God, rather than have the world revolve around me. This is particularly reassuring in such unsure times.

How has life in the Dominican House of Studies changed? Is there fear and has anyone gotten sick there?

I think I described the changes our community is experiencing here in DC already, so I won’t repeat them. Currently, no one has contracted COVID-19 in our community here. Cases are relatively low still here in DC. The District had its first COVID-19 death late last week. He was a Franciscan friar and his community is just up the street from us. I am not sure where he contracted the virus, but I do know he had some pretty serious pre-existing medical conditions.

What message would you like to relay to the Marist Running community -- your former teammates who still might be reading this, any other alums, and most importantly the current team members and their families? How would you advise them to cope with the feelings of loss (especially the seniors)?

First, know that you’re in my prayers. This is nothing new, though. I often remember the Marist Running community in my prayers and at Mass. If there are particular prayer intentions that you’d like me to remember, or Mass intentions that you’d like me to offer, feel free to be in touch.

Second, I am not sure there is much to say especially to the seniors. It’s a heartbreaking situation. I read one announcement from a different college cancelling commencement ceremonies that promised to make it up to the seniors in a different way. I find those sorts of comments to be a bit wanting. I understand the sentiment, but I’m not sure something like that can be made up. So, if you’re angry about missing your last season, graduating, etc., be angry. If you’re sad, be sad. That’s what it means to be human.

However difficult it may be now, they ought not dominate or define us. One of my favorite quotes is, “Dum spiro spero,” “While I breathe, I hope.” I think it’s incredibly appropriate for our lives now. God knows what tomorrow, or next week, or next month will look like, good things are to come, however unexpected they may be or however difficult to arrive at.

No comments: