Tuesday, March 24, 2020

The woods


For the benefit of those who are not on Facebook and not connected with my wife Heidi's very active Facebook feed (or whatever that's called), we have been spending a lot more time in the woods than normal. When I say "we" ... that would be mostly my family. I'm not a big fan of technical hiking, given my being a perpetual "falling hazard." Heidi and our younger kids have been doing more hikes than I have. Anyway, here are two pictures, one from a hike in the woods near our house (our excitable dogs joined us, Joey was still down at Stony Brook emptying out his dorm room) and the other from a rather strenuous hike at Fishkill Ridge on Saturday (too many rocks and steep descents for this old guy, oooof!). Things are a bit icy and muddy now, but we'll aim to keep getting out there.

In a side note, I received a rather depressing email from the Appalachian Trail Conservancy urging us to stay off the AT until further notice. Apparently, trailheads have been overrun with cars and some trails are jam-packed, contradicting the social distancing edict. Sheesh, even the woods are being restricted.

No comments: