Saturday, March 14, 2020

Runners run


Our seniors continue to grapple with excruciatingly difficult emotions. As coaches, we lack an adequate roadmap to help them navigate through this unprecedented situation. We’re trying. We’re all trying. Senior Chris Rivas decided to do something about it, do the one thing he knows best. He went to the track and he ran as hard as he could. I got the following screen shot and text from Chris: “Realized I never got the chance to PR in the full mile since junior year high school. So, went to the track today, in trainers, no Vaporflys, just me. 4:24.89.” Like the other seniors, Chris was eagerly anticipating the outdoor track season. He had a phenomenal indoor track season, filled with breakthrough after breakthrough. He wanted more. He craved more. When I called him a while later, he admitted that he wanted to “do something” with his current fitness level (“I’m in the best shape of my life right now, Pete”). I know, kid. I know. Nicely done. Today and always.

No comments: