Wednesday, December 31, 2014

41, by 43, a good read

In perhaps one of my oddest book recommendations ever, I would highly endorse the new book entitled "41" -- a poignant, personal biography of President George H.W. Bush, written by his son, George W. Bush. I'm not the most political person in the world, but it is safe to say my views didn't exactly align with either president -- especially W. However! This book is a wonderful read. Not surprisingly, the language and tone is simple and easy to read.

Through the book, which admittedly was not an objective work of history but rather a personal reflection, you get the sense of what a truly good and decent man the elder Bush was and still remains. He was a legitimate WWII hero, and his run of public service as an elected official was long and noble. He cared about people. Her cares about family. He wrote tons of personal letters to friends, family and strangers alike. He was a loyal friend. Truly, a good man. Through reading it, I grew to respect W a little bit as well, as he strikes me as a good and decent man himself, having been raised and nurtured by strong parents.

I will admit never to having voted for a Bush in any presidential election. After reading this book, I would say in hindsight I would have voted for Bush over Dukakis in 1988 if I were to do it over again, but I would not change my vote any other time. No matter. This isn't about politics. It's about people. This is a great book and I would highly recommend it, no matter which side of the aisle you reside politically.

No comments: