Monday, February 17, 2014

Hope in every morning song ...

The alarmed texts come from my dedicated alum as he tries in vain to train through this winter for a spring marathon. Mileage is suffering. Only got in 3 today. Terrible. Feel like I’m falling behind. I hear ya, bro. I feel your pain. This tired refrain of “this has been some winter, huh?” has really taken its toll and provides little consolation these days. Nobody wants to hear it anymore. You probably don’t want to read about it anymore. My text replies to our frustrated marathoner are always something to the effect of: Do what you can. Don’t worry about your weekly mileage. Get your quality days in and don’t fret the rest. You still got time. Plenty of time. I believe it. I believe it all. But as another “winter weather advisory’’ lurks in the forecast, it’s easy to get disheartened if your only option is training outside.

Not sure why, but I’ve been listening to a lot more music lately, which is why I share with you yet another song via this blog. It’s a song that’s getting a lot of air time on my favorite radio station, and its melancholy feel seems to capture our mood of late. It’s called “Morning Song” by the Avett Brothers, a lovely tune. Give it a listen if you want, and take a look at the following lyrics that seem about right for this February.

It's all right if you've finally stopped caring.
Just don't go and tell someone that does.
Even though I know there's hope in every morning song,
I have to find that melody alone.

Find hope in your morning song today. Keep trudging along. Better days are ahead.

1 comment:

Colin said...

Totally thought you were going with this Morning Song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6W1_JtFb3c