Sunday, November 6, 2011

Barefoot link from Schanz

Sorry to pummel you with links ... but I like to read, and hopefully you do too.

Thanks to Schanz for sending me this link to a New York Times Magazine article about barefoot/minimalist running by Christopher McDougall, author of the book "Born to Run." This article is not a rehashing of that book but rather a further exploration into the science of minimalist running. It's actually quite interesting and a good read.

Here at Marist, we have always dabbled in the minimalist thing. Back in the 1980s, my various coaches had us doing barefoot strides surreptitiously on golf courses we were not supposed to be using for running. I recall it feeling weird but exhilarating at the same time. Fast forward about 20 years, and of course we were exposed to the barefoot thing as two Rauccis have come through our program.

My feelings on the Minimalist Movement are mixed. I understand the science, but the reality is a bit more harsh. As the article points out, just because you take your shoes off or wear the Vibram Five Fingers or Nike Frees that does not instantaneously mean you will start running "naturally" with the correct footfall. In fact, if you continue to heel-strike plod like me, and you are wearing minimalist shoes ... you will get hurt.

Fortunately here at Marist, we have North Field, an excellent training ground for the Minimalist Movement. Unfortunately, being November, North Field is well on its way to becoming a grassy tundra.

Anyway, enjoy the article. I will post NYC Marathon updates as I can (will be traveling to New Jersey to visit family today, and Internet access might be spotty).

Enjoy the nice weather ... one week after the not-so-nice weather.

No comments: