Monday, October 31, 2016

MAAC XC at Disney: Charismatic tube socks?

So the MAAC Cross Country meet was broadcast live on ESPN3. The day before, they did interviews with top runners from each team as well as some head coaches. One notorious MAAC head coach – the only MAAC coach to have been at all five of these Disney/MAAC Championships – was interviewed. That would be me. I joked with the fine ESPN folks that I had a “good face for radio” and that they should consider interviewing some other, more relevant people. So anyway, they went ahead and interviewed me. The usual questions. I gave the usual answers. Finally, the last question: “Coach. So. What’s the deal with the tube socks?” Really. Really?

Anyway, I just watched the broadcast of the men’s race last night; I will try to watch the women’s race later. They used exactly zero footage from that interview. That’s fine. It happens. I’m OK with that. However! During the live broadcast, the cameras spotted me out on the course. Exhorting my runners. Yeah. I was wearing my tube socks. The commentators made reference to them and referred to me as the “charismatic” coach at Marist. This, of course, is a broadcast first: The words “charismatic” and “tube socks” in the same segment. Nicely done!

No comments: