Thursday, August 18, 2016

Preseason 2016: Greetings from Champagnat 506

For the first time in as long as I can remember, this old coach is staying in the dormitory with the team. As I type this, two big box fans are blowing in my face. Yeah, it's warm in here, but in talking to the other preseason teams -- football, men's and women's soccer, volleyball, coaches, athletic trainers, other support staff -- who have been in the dorms for more than a week, Champagnat Hall was blazing hot with the humidity and high temperatures, even moreso than it is now. At least the humidity broke briefly yesterday. So, it's back to the future for me. It was 34 years ago in August that I moved into Champagnat Hall for my first preseason as a punky, scared freshman from New Jersey -- all 5 foot 9, 115 pounds of me. Now I'm back in Champagnat -- a little taller, a bit heavier and a lot older. I long for that window unit AC in my bedroom at home, but I should be able to rough it for a few nights -- me, and my two biggest fans.

No comments: