Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Siren call

In the pre-dawn darkness of my solo morning jog the other day, I ran past the local volunteer firehouse. As if on cue, the siren blared loudly -- nearly frightening me clear out of my Asics.

It blared five times in a row, boosting my adrenaline and certainly shaking the remaining cobwebs out of my head.

A few minutes later as I shuffled along through the deserted neighborhood, a new song came on my iPod shuffle. "Bound for Glory" by the Tedeschi Trucks Band (I know, you've probably never heard of them ...).

In my never-ending search for deeper meaning in the ordinary happenings of life, I couldn't help but think of it: It's MAAC week. Championship time.

The siren call for us as a program. Time for us, as individuals and a group, to step it up. Time to let that inner siren sound and let it all go out on the race course.

And as for the song? The title says it all. And that's what made my fuzzy, early-morning mind think.

MAAC week. Siren call. "Bound for Glory." Sounds good to me.

No comments: