Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Me and my streaks

Like every New Year’s Day for more than a decade, on Jan. 1, 2011, I had three personal “streaks” that were intact and waiting to be continued for yet another year. Those streaks included:

1-My consecutive columns streak in the Poughkeepsie Journal. Beginning in April of 1992, when I first wrote the “On The Run” column devoted to local road racing and running news, I never missed writing a column for publication in the Thursday newspaper.
2-My consecutive running streak, of which I discussed in my recent post entitled “Confessions of a Streak Runner.” That streak began on June 27, 1998.
3-My consecutive marathon-a-year streak, in which I have completed at least one marathon distance race each year since 1987. (As a side note to this streak, I completed my first marathon in 1983, while a first semester sophomore in college – for those keeping score at home, this is not generally recommended. I ran marathons in each of the next two years (1984 and 1985), but did not run a marathon in 1986 -- ironically the year I chased and achieved my “shorter distance” PRs at 5km and 10km. Had I squeezed in a marathon in 1986, this streak would have been even longer).

Anyway, as most of you know, streaks #1 and #2 have ended.

Streak #1 was by far the easiest one to maintain. Basically, I just needed to be alive with a semi-functioning brain (debatable) and the ability to type on a keyboard. Unfortunately, and understandably, this streak became the casualty of freelance budget cuts at Dutchess County’s Finest Daily Newspaper. Having worked there for close to a quarter century, and with many close friends still working there, I understand the business and I appreciate the chance to continue to write on a semi-regular basis. But the weekly column streak ended at exactly 1,000 weeks, back in June.

Streak #2’s demise was well-chronicled. No need to rehash it here. It is still missed and mourned -- each and every day.

Streak #3? It remains alive and well, thanks to my successful completion of Sunday’s Mohawk Hudson River Marathon.

Sunday’s race represented my fastest marathon since 2004 – and my fastest marathon time since turning 40. For me, this run was nothing short of remarkable. I have been through a lot of physical and medical issues in the past month. As a result, getting to the starting line, much less the finish line, was a chore in and of itself.

Once the race started, the 8:30 or so pace per mile felt remarkably relaxed, comfortable and in control – even on the warm October day. By mixing in planned walk breaks and unplanned bladder breaks (hydration is key; over-hydration is not great, but better than dehydration on this day), I was able to maintain race pace from start to finish. The splits tell the story: First 13.1 miles in 1:52:16; second 13.1 miles in 1:51:52. Could not have planned it any better if I tried.

Ironically, ending Streak #2 may have contributed to a faster marathon, as I went into the race more tapered and ready than I had for any race in, well, 13.25 years!

So, I started the year with three streaks. Ten and a half months later, one streak remains. One is better than none, and I am pleased with that.

2 comments:

Chris Gould said...

Hey Coach! Great time in your marathon. Keep reppin' us Old Guys! Chris Gould

tcoulson said...

Congrats on the one streak remaining. But I felt I needed to post and say, maybe God is telling you to follow your own advice. I have always taken to heart the times that you told me to lay low, taper and rest for big races. Now it paid off for you too. Oh and I like the remaining streak the most anyway.