Tuesday, January 11, 2011

The next wave ...

Sunday mornings mean a few things at the McCann Center:

1-The team long run for practice
2-Little kids in the swimming pool for swim lessons

Often through the years, both worlds have dovetailed for me and my family. My oldest son Joey and my daughter Natalie both took lessons with the fine Marist Swim Club program. And now, our youngest son James has entered the pool, with his first lesson this past Sunday. He was apprehensive at first, but the excellent swim team members who double as kiddie instructors made him feel comfortable with their infectious encouragement.

Joey and Natalie helped, too. They remembered their trepidation as well, and they tried their best to salve James’ fears. I noted to them that I knew several of the current swim team members. Then Joey remembered something: “Didn’t one of ‘your guys’ teach me how to swim in the pool?”

Good memory, kid. That guy was one Matt Walsh, Marist Running Alum and also an excellent swimmer and swim instructor as well. There are no “runner guys” (as my kids call team members) in the pool teaching James this year, but it’s all good. So for the next few weeks, Sundays will consist of long-run practice and kiddie pool time – simultaneously.

Speaking of water works: Any athletes interested in AquaJogging hours, please see me soon. We are in the process of coordinating the deep-water practice times for the spring semester, with the possibility of expanding it to include some mid/late-morning hours to go along with the evening hours.

No comments: