Saturday, January 22, 2011

A matter of degree

Went for an hour run with Fast Tony this morning through Poughkeepsie. Walkway was closed, so we revisited some old city loops that I used to do all the time with Mr. Bucket.

Temperature was 2 degrees, but no wind so it was really not bad at all. Tony mentioned a funny little statistic: Several times each winter, the number of miles he runs is greater than the number of degrees Fahrenheit on the thermometer. This happens for him frequently on his weekend long runs, which now are around 15-16 miles. He said for it to happen on one of his maintenance runs like this was rare indeed.

Being a stat geek, this of course got me thinking. Who in the Marist Running universe could have the greatest differential of miles run and degrees? First one that comes to mind is our boy Rolek, who regularly knocks out 20-milers. Of course, living in the balmy Garden State, the differential is not often that great. However, when he is in frigid Mid-Hudson Valley visiting Jess, well there’s some potential there.

Programming note: I will not be attending GBTC this weekend. I will miss being there for the women’s team, but I have some family business to attend to in New Jersey, and this is quite possibly the last weekend opportunity for quite some time. I will post results as soon as I can; splits I cannot guarantee.

And oh yeah: Another big winter storm brewing for next week?

No comments: