Thursday, October 28, 2010

An old-school birthday "celebration"

Thanks, as always, to Loyal Marist Running Alum and blog follower Marty McGowan for e-mailing me his comments.

Here is what he wrote about Conor Shelley's 23 miles on his 23rd birthday stunt from Tuesday ...

"23 miles for a 23rd birthday. Wow! Yes, I did a "birthday workout" once, too, back in the dark ages -- March 29, 1975, I turned 24. I was working for a research firm in downtown Manhattan at the time, and still lived at home. I remember leaving work, coming home and heading for the track at Staten Island Community College, about a mile and a half warm up away. The goal was to do 24 quarters in 75 with a 220 jog between each one. By myself. I came home happy, exhausted and put away some major lazagna and beer that night. Congratulations to Conor!"

In response to Peter's comment question: Not sure, but it is a safe bet that several team members ran 10 miles on 10.10.10. I was a little busy myself that day, jogging a lot more than 10 miles on 10.10.10.

No comments: