Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Maturity optional

As is always the case in cross country season, we spend a lot of time -- daily -- in vans traveling to and from practice. The freshmen guys (there are a lot of them, admittedly) seem to enjoy flocking to ride in the van -- if only to torment me with their poor choice in music.

Or in the case of Billy Fresh today, riding shotgun and providing erroneous information about pretty much every subject that came up. Not nicely done!

One freshman who will remain nameless (hint: he wears bandannas every day to run) likes to leave little "surprises" for me in the driver's seat before I get there. One day, he buckles the seatbelt, without my being in there. The next, he moves the seat all the way forward, so when I get in my knees bang into the steering wheel. Today, he takes empty paper cups and hangs them on the gear shifter, directional, light switches, etc. Really creative stuff like that.

Fun times!

It's instructive to remember that these guys are mostly 18 years old -- not far removed from CHILDHOOD. And so, often, they act like CHILDREN. Boys.

Here's the thing: These boys, these CHILDREN, can sure run. They whipped through a nice timed fartlek at Vassar Farms today in the rain and mist, mostly in very good form. We are starting to work on SPEED now, slowly cashing in those strength chips they have carefully built over weeks and months.

So yeah, maturity is an optional trait. As long as they run a lot and run fast, I can deal with this.

2 comments:

Steve said...

If you think college freshmen are imature, you should try coaching high school freshmen. At least your college guys do great workouts instead of hiding behind bushes.

Ned said...

I wish I annoyed you more when I was there, but we had a 'Sandbagger' on our team. That was annoying enough