Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Imagine.

My favorite radio station, Radio Woodstock 100.1, was playing John Lennon music throughout their lunch hour today. It is the 35th anniversary of his tragic death in 1980. It is difficult to fathom that it has been that long since he was killed by a deranged idiot, mostly because I remember clear as day when it happened. I was a junior in high school, and I had been home sick from school on that Monday with a bad cold or flu or something. I spent the entire day on the couch, watching TV. The 11 o’clock news broke with the story of Lennon’s being killed as he returned to his NYC home with his wife, Yoko Ono. It’s one of those moments where you remember exactly where you were when it happened, and I still remember it vividly to this day.

Thirty-five years! Damn. He would be 75 years old now, probably still making music and touring. The legacy he left in his relatively short time on earth was pretty darn good. You can debate as to whether he was the “best Beatle” or not; it is difficult to debate his lasting impact on music and on our world.

No comments: