Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Hall of a great way to end 2015


 My youngest son James and I made a pilgrimage to upstate Cooperstown for his first visit to the Baseball Hall of Fame. I made a similar trip to the Hall with my son Joey about 6 years ago. James is 10 years old, right around the sweet spot for the love of the sport, and we had a fantastic father-son time at the shrine to the national pastime. Above, James was thrilled to see his favorite player (Lucas Duda) is among the active leaders in fielding percentage for first basemen -- in a game dominated by statistics, those particular numbers mean pretty much nothing. To the left, you can see James and I displaying are best immaturity (hey, it comes naturally to both of us) in front of the Mets/Yankees lockers. And below, you can see me in front of the plaque for Big Dan Brouthers, Dutchess County's own Hall of Famer. Big Dan was a Wappingers Falls native and in fact is buried at St. Mary's Cemetery. Big Dan was the Babe Ruth of the 19th century, one of the best players of the early game. We spent a full day at the Hall of Fame, and it was worth every mile and every minute.

No comments: