Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Doubling on a Saturday night

Last Saturday night, I took my two younger kids to the Marist men’s basketball game versus Delaware. Sports information director Mike Ferraro asked if I would be the halftime guest with Ed Weir on the game’s radio broadcast, and I gladly obliged. Eddie Weir has been broadcasting Marist football and basketball games for the better part of five decades. He’s an old friend and a very loyal supporter of all Marist Athletics, so it was the least I could do to give “Weir-do” – as he is affectionately known to his friends – a few minutes of my time.


After I was done with the interview, my kids wanted to get something from the snack bar, which is located in the lobby of the Fitness Center. It was now about 8:15 on a Saturday night. While I’m purchasing a box of popcorn, out of the Fitness Center walks one of our Loyal Men’s XC Athletes who shall remain nameless. What was he doing? Doubling. Getting in his bike double, one of three required for the week. On a Saturday night, with final exams looming. That, my friends, is dedication. And it runs in the family. A Marist Running generation ago, this young man’s older brother was a member of our team. I remember distinctly a moment during finals week of the spring semester of that year. Everyone was taking their time off after the conclusion of outdoor track season. Not this guy. I saw him coming in from a hard 8-miler on a hot afternoon. By himself. There was no reason for it, other than true dedication and love of the sport. The same reason some current college kid would pedal on an exercise bike for 45 minutes on a random Saturday night in early winter. It’s what he does; it’s what we do. Nicely done. 

No comments: