Sunday, July 13, 2014

Notes from Lane 6

Random notes from the pool deck, where I spent close to 8 hours as a timer during two swim meets in which my daughter Natalie participated on Saturday and Sunday …

--Instead of looking for the smoke from a starter’s pistol, you have to watch for the light when the starting buzzer goes off. No smoke. Look for the light. Got it. Much like track, it’s not rocket science.
--I felt my age as I crouched down and leaned over looking for the swimmers to touch the wall. I know what you’re thinking. No, I did NOT tumble into the pool (although that would have been hilarious).
--Swimmers finishing their races splash a lot.
--As a result, sneakers and tube socks get really wet.
--Especially when fast breaststrokers are barreling into the finish.
--It’s good fun to try to match your fellow timers down to the hundredth of a second.
--But after about 100 heats of the freestyle, IM, backstroke, on and on and on, that gets old.

Am I complaining? Not at all! It was long and hot out there, but it was good and great fun, and I got a front-row view of Natalie doing her absolute best in a sport that is totally new to her.

No comments: