Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Am I THAT slow?

This morning on our 5:30 a.m. jog, I met up with Fast Tony and Davey O. When I run with these guys, I am the classic Third Wheel. These guys are fast, much faster than me. There are times, when they are both feeling peppy in the predawn darkness, that I feel like I should simply pin on a bib number and wear lightweight racing shoes -- it's pretty much a race-day effort to keep up with them.

Today, we were running through the pitch black darkness of the Vanderbilt Mansion. Davey O forgot his watch so he was running with his iPhone. At one point, he lagged behind us by a few strides and I saw the faint glow of the Smart Phone in the darkness. Huh? What's he doin' back there? TEXTING! Good God. He's TEXTING during our run.

Dude! Am I THAT slow? Wow! I can barely text standing still. This dude is thumbing away at 8:30 pace. We all had a good laugh about it. He said, "Pete, I'm in my 30s, this is what we do!" Yeah, yeah.

OK! Off to Richmond on Thursday afternoon. Our Stanford crew is in the air now. Look for updates on our team's activities from the road over the next few days...

No comments: