Sunday, May 27, 2012

Hockey/holiday weekend memories


Friday night of Memorial Day weekend, and what was I doing? Watching hockey! Huh? I’m not even a hockey fan. I just realized last year that there is actually an NHL team in Columbus. Ohio. Hmmm. Not the most avid puck fan, to be sure. But as my former colleague at Dutchess County’s Finest Daily Newspaper, Danny Pietrafesa, used to say, there’s nothing more intense than playoff hockey. Especially when it goes to overtime.

So Friday night, I fell asleep in front of Game 6 of the Eastern Conference Finals, which the Devils won in OT and eliminated the Rangers in the process. It was thrilling, non-stop action. Just like 18 years ago, on the Friday night of Memorial Day weekend, when the Devils and Rangers played Game 7 of the Eastern Conference Finals. Different outcome that game.

Why the Rain Man-like recollection of a sport in which I admittedly care little about? Well, I may not care much about hockey, but I do care a lot about my wife. And it was 18 years ago, on Friday afternoon of Memorial Day weekend, when I proposed to the love of my life, during a picnic at the Vanderbilt Mansion (I know, not the most original idea). How did we “celebrate” this memorable occasion? After telling family and friends, we watched Game 7 of Devils/Rangers, which was perhaps the best playoff game in any sport ever. It went into overtime, and the Rangers won, paving the way to their one and only Stanley Cup since 1941.

How can you not remember broadcaster Howie Rose’s memorable call of that goal (with a little help from Wikipedia)? “Matteau swoops in to intercept. Matteau behind the net, swings it in front. HE SCORES! MATTEAU!! MATTEAU!! MATTEAU!! STEPHANE MATTEAU!! AND THE RANGERS HAVE ONE MORE HILL TO CLIMB, BABY! BUT IT'S MOUNT VANCOUVER! THE RANGERS ARE HEADED TO THE FINALS!!!’’

Even Mike Francesa of WFAN was amazed at the symmetry of the Friday of Memorial Day weekend/Devils vs. Rangers. On the air Friday afternoon, previewing the upcoming playoff game, marveled at how quickly 18 years have gone, and how much has changed in that seeming blink of an eye. We’ve all gotten a lot older in those 18 years; but those 18 years went by in what seemed to be about 18 minutes. Yes, 18 years have gone by, in the blink of an eye. And this much has not changed: I watched a hockey game in which I had little rooting interest, and Heidi is still very much the love of my life.

Note to the many Ranger fans in the blogosphere: I am sorry your team was ousted from the playoffs. Such are the vagaries of the lengthy playoff system in the NHL. I guess.

No comments: