Friday, June 1, 2012

Just rewards

There are many intrinsic rewards to coaching a group of wonderfully dedicated student-athletes (emphasis on both words, by the way). It is a gift to be able to coach.

But sometimes, that gift gives back, and such was the case with this graduating senior class. Without embarrassing the do-good men and women of the Class of 2012, I will not tell you who gave this old coach what. There were many heartfelt thank-you cards that mean a lot. There were also two gifts that mean a lot as well.

--One graduate was kind enough to get me a Saturday ticket to Mountain Jam, a music festival at nearby Hunter Mountain that is going on as we type. The organizer/headliner of Mountain Jam is none other than my favorite band, Gov’t Mule (photo of band leader Warren Haynes accompanies this post). There are other bands that I am looking forward to seeing there as well – Ben Folds Five, Givers, Matt Schofield, The Word (do not know much about these bands, but willing to give it a listen). Am I getting a little old for such rock concerts? Am I living proof of the old Jethro Tull song, “Too Old to Rock and Roll; Too Young to Die?” Perhaps. But I am very appreciative and very much looking forward to jamming on the mountain.
--One group of graduates was kind enough to get us a generously priced gift certificate to a local restaurant, at which my wife Heidi and I might actually go on a “date,” as crazy as that sounds.

So yeah. I am blessed in many ways. And as my old Poughkeepsie Journal colleague, the excellent music writer John Barry, likes to say: “See you at Mountain Jam.” Yes, indeed.

No comments: