Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Track philosophy in the morning paper

While munching on a bagel, sipping my coffee and reading the morning newspaper (yes, I actually still read a printed newspaper at times, in this case Dutchess County’s Finest Daily Newspaper), I happened upon this excellent interview/article with a local track coach, Jim Henry of Beacon High School, published in today's Poughkeepsie Journal.

I’ve only met Jim briefly a few times, and I know him more as “the guy that DJ Paulson coaches with at Beacon” – DJ being a Marist Running alum and one of the first “alums” of my “Track and Field Coaching” class. Anyway, this interview was really well done and had a lot of cool insights, as you will see.

For those of you too lazy to click the link, here is the last question and answer from the interview. I love the question, but I really really love the answer. A true keeper. I share it with you here.

What do you hope the athletes you coach get out of being a part of Beacon track?

Speaking philosophically, there seems to be an attitude running rampant among many students (and a lot of adults if we are honest about it) that can best be summarized by, “What is the least I can do and get away with it?” In the sport of track and field, the answer is, “not much.” If you work hard, you will improve — and I want that message and attitude carried over into the classroom today and life tomorrow.

1 comment:

tcoulson said...

yeah, I really liked the "penultimate" question too:
"There is no other sport in which effort is so directly rewarded with improvement."