Monday, July 26, 2010

Hair today, gone tomorrow ...



It started back in early May, when my jogging partner Eric and I were complaining about our extra poundage around the midsection. He came up with idea of a "biggest loser" contest for the summer. Whoever lost the contest (did not lose the most weight) would shave his head on or around Labor Day.

I've been pretty diligent, eliminating Dr Pepper and doing my "water walking" as a way to peel back the layers. However, the plan changed midstream. Eric texted me while I was on vacation about a great fundraiser that he wanted to take part in -- Shave for a Cure -- to benefit the St. Jude Children's Hospital. The idea was you get pledges for St. Jude's and then go to Mahoney's on the Shave Night and get your head buzzed.

Eric really got into it at work, raising close to $1,000. I was a bit more bashful, but still raised a modest $150.48 from a few generous co-workers and friends that I dared to ask.

We both got buzzed at Mahoney's -- well, you know what I mean -- on Friday night, and we toasted our baldness over dinner there. It was a great fundraiser, garnering more than $25,000! Of course, we do run the risk of the hair not growing back too quickly ... or at all. In my case, I will have to make sure that my facial hair does not grow more quickly than my actual hair.

Lastly, for those team members yearning for a return of my mullet (side note: I'm already pushing it with the tube socks at home, I do want to stay happily married!), well, that will have to wait many, many months.

3 comments:

Steve said...

Wow! If the picture was not on your blog I'm sure I would not have recognized you! Nice job by you and Eric. Can I still make a donation?

Justin said...

What ever happened to the mullet from our bet if I won MAACs in the steeple, which I did!? I dont recall seeing you with a mullet.

Its time Pete!

Nick said...

Come on Pete, sacrifice the tube socks for the mullet. Its so much more bad a$$!