Monday, July 19, 2010

A few updates ...

Sorry for the lack of posts. The end of last week and into the weekend were busy, away-from-computer times for me. I noticed a few comments on the previous picture post. Allow me to answer those questions and expound upon a few other things ...

1. Web, Bekele is a common Ethiopian name. We did not have any world record holders on campus. At least to my knowledge.
2. Peter, Girma's brother graduated from law school in Minnesota the previous week and decided to bring/wear his cap and gown. Pretty neat.
3. Steve, tube socks rule! You watch, they will come back into vogue. You know, I was at a local race last year and a runner came up to me and said, "Oh Pete, are those compression socks?" I think she was disappointed when I told her they were K-Mart vintage tube socks. Now, if only they still made them with the stripes ...

And then there's ...

1. The team BBQ was a success Saturday down by the river. Of course, it would help if your old coach wasn't such an idiot. As the hungry masses were hovering over the grill, I was sweating and stressing out and wondering why the burgers were not cooking so fast. That would be because I had the burners set on very low instead of very high. Duh.
2. I have several race updates to post and will get to them as soon as I have time to organize the posts and my thoughts. To preview: Utica Boilermaker, Joey Tat's marathon in Australia (!) and Justin Harris' milestone effort in a triathlon.
3. My oldest son and I (along with his friend and his friend's dad) went to Yankee Stadium for the historic and emotional "Steinbrenner Game" on Friday night. Pure luck, as we had purchased the tickets weeks ago. It was my first time at the new ballpark and let me tell you, I was blown away by it all. Perhaps I will post on that if there is interest.

And lastly ...

A reminder to stay hydrated with water and sports drink during this unusually hot summer we are having. Run. Rehydrate. Rehydrate. Rehydrate. Run Some More. (Pre- and Post-Hydration is a good idea too ...)

3 comments:

Steve said...

I'm glad you finally got to see a game at the new stadium. One of the drawbacks of being in NC is we miss the dozen games a year we usually go to. We did see a game early in the season and will go the Monday after the DC Classic when we are in NY. Travel decisions will have to be made when they make the playoffs. Seeing a game in each round, including the final World Series game was such a thrill.

More about the SOCKS. With the length of the shorts and the height of the socks you might as well wear jeans.

Nick said...

Haha i was more kidding, but doesnt he look like a runner? After doing some research, I found that he actually is pretty fast. According to the IAAF website he runs for Ethiopia (1:03 half/ 2:16 marathon.) Unless his first name is common too and its a completely different Tesfaye Bekele.

http://www.iaaf.org/athletes/biographies/country=eth/athcode=250104/index.html

Tom Dixon said...

Pete, I went to the Sunday game this past weekend. I have been to several games and you are right, although its sad to see the old stadium is just a whole in the ground the new one is a sight to see.