Monday, June 21, 2010

Update on World Cup viewing

OK. I am man enough to admit when I am wrong. Not that I was totally wrong.

On Sunday, I was down in New Jersey visiting family for Father's Day. One of my nephews is a 20-year-old college student and college xc/track runner, a good kid. A "bro," if you will. He would fit in on our team. He could, dare I say it, "bro out" with you guys ... while watching the World Cup.

The World Cup! What is the attraction of this event with the 18-24 demographic? Is ESPN that good of a marketing machine? Why do so many young adult males get into soccer?

Anyway. I had no choice. He wanted to watch Brazil-Ivory Coast. So we switched from Yankees-Mets -- oh, the blasphemy! -- to watch the World Cup.

Maybe I was in a conciliatory mood, but:

1. The vuvuzela sound is really not that annoying. I'm the king of annoying sounds -- especially around the house -- so I should be the last to complain.
2. The action of the game is pretty good.
3. The biggie: When they show replays and/or zone in on the action with close-up shots ... that, I really like. Then, you can tell how really intense the game is. The wide-angle shots do not give the game justice.

So, other than Derek Jeter at-bats -- I never switch the channel when The Captain is up -- we watched much of the game.

My lukewarm endorsement? It doesn't suck. That's the best you are getting out of me. If I am in soccer-minded company and the game is on, I will watch it. Otherwise, I'm watching baseball or reading a book. Or both.

Of course, with the impending Junior Nationals travel in a few days, the World Cup coverage will be inescapable. I will watch if captive. And I might even like it. A little.

No comments: