Tuesday, June 8, 2010

On the road again ...

For the past few weeks this spring, I have been getting out on the road to do some recruiting -- the first time I have been able to do this, thanks to the position being elevated to full-time last summer! It has been enjoyable.

Now, when you hear "coach" and "recruiting trips," usually you think of flying to tournaments, weeks away from home, major expense reports, etc. Uh-uh. Not here. My trips are short and sweet, nice little day trips.

It's a bit odd going to meets with no real vested interest. At this time of year, we cannot even talk to prospects or coaches about the prospects, so you basically go as a fan of the sport and check out the future talent (at this point, all the graduating seniors have been accounted for).

Perhaps my favorite part of the regional recruiting is connecting with my alumni men who are now coaches. This is a topic that has been addressed more than once on the blog, I know.

But yesterday, at the Connecticut State Open meet, it was great to see Joey Tat (Cheshire) and Maynes (Coventry) among the coaching ranks. I hung out with them, and they pointed out some of the many excellent athletes that come out of the small New England state. It was well worth the trip.

By the way, Joe T. told me he is running a marathon in Australia on the Fourth of July. Could this be the furthest the Alumni Racing Team singlet has traveled for a marathon? We were wondering this. It has to be. Correct us if we are wrong ...

No comments: