Sunday, October 8, 2017

Study break: From the second reading

They were stressed out. Papers to write. Tests to study for. It’s mid-semester time, and the academic stresses are piling high on our student-athletes (as always, the “student” part coming first). As I entered the 7 p.m. Sunday Mass at the chapel, I saw them, some of my athletes, toting heavy backpacks and heavier minds. Smart that they came to turn their minds off the books and onto higher things, for 40 minutes at least.

We sat down for Mass. And then, as though it were written for them, the second reading, from the Letter of Saint Paul to the Philippians, contained these wise words: “Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.”

I thought to myself, man, I hope those guys were listening to this. After Mass, Brother Frank said the same thing. And Hillman, clearly, thought the same thing, as he took a picture of the reading on his phone, and he texted it to me. Study breaks, it seems, come in all forms. 

No comments: