Sunday, October 22, 2017

More notes from a swim dad ...

I've mentioned it here before, but I revel in my role as "Swim Dad" -- to my daughter Natalie, a sophomore at FDR High School (results above erroneously refer to her as a freshman) and to my sixth-grade son James, who swims for the Hudson Valley Dolphins (as does Natalie). On Friday afternoon at the OCIAA Championships, Natalie had a breakthrough effort in the 50-yard freestyle and qualified for the Section 9 Championships. She dropped more than a second in the sprint event, and placed 10th out of more than 60 competitors in the race. She was already a member of a relay team that will be competing at the Section 9 meet, but it's neat that she's going as an individual as well. Why do I love being at swim meets? The same reason everyone else hates it: It's inside, and it's insanely hot and humid, and the meets drag on for hours. Basically, indoor track with the chlorine. Neat!

No comments: