Sunday, July 24, 2016

Unplugging

I probably do the same post every year around Lake George vacation time – which, this year, was a few weeks later than it has been for us in the past. Where we stayed this year, there was Wifi and cell service available. But “available” was a fuzzy term, as the only places we could find passable service or signal was near the swing set (sometimes) and way out on a dock down by the lake. After a day or two of trying to connect, we adopted a “why bother” mentality and just unplugged. The laptop on which I typing? It stayed dormant in my backpack for seven days. My cell phone, which stated “no service” on the top of its screen, stayed in the cabin for hours at a time. Hey, we all need to unplug for a while, and our Lake George week allows this to happen. The other 51 weeks of the year? We are all definitely plugged in. There were a few moments, when I drove into town with strong cell service, where my phone hopped to life – piled up voicemails and texts and emails came flooding in, reminding me that life drones on each and every day in the fully connected and plugged in world. The cord is back in the outlet. We are plugged in again. Until next summer in Lake George, where hopefully we can unplug again, for at least a few days.

1 comment:

Hild said...

I'm pretty sure there's good service at the Great Escape, Pete. You can probably go there, if you really want service.