Saturday, March 21, 2015

Spring Break notes: Exposed skin

As we fly back from our very brief trip to southwest Florida to visit family, I can reflect on the incredible warmth we felt. Oh sure, I’m talking about the weather, which even by their standards was a bit hot – mid to upper 80s in the afternoon – for March standards. But also, I’m talking about the natural flow of uniting with family that we see far too little of throughout the years.


I thought it was hilarious this morning, at my nephew Riley’s Little League game, when folks on the bleachers were reaching for light jackets and sweatshirts. There was a slight breeze. In the shade, it was 68 degrees. Really. Are you kidding me? I was wearing long pants, only because we were headed to the airport right after the game and it didn’t make sense to wear shorts for just a few hours. But otherwise, in our brief few days down there, it was shorts and T-shirts every second of the stay.

Oh. So THAT’S what my arms and knees look like! Other than the brief few minutes in the shower every morning, and I do mean brief, every centimeter of potentially exposed skin has been covered during the past several months of the winter that won’t quit – yes, I know, it snowed back home while my son James was getting sunburned knees at Jet Blue Park watching the Red Sox vs. Orioles in the midday heat. The sun felt SO good. My brother-in-law Mark, a very light-skinned dude, was always scurrying from the direct rays. I was basking in it. No sunblock needed. It felt soooo good.

Now we are back. The flannel lined pants will be located, as the temperatures this week look to remain chilly. But for a few days, we could dream of the warmth that we will eventually feel up here.

No comments: