Monday, March 2, 2015

Bridging the gap

We had one of those humanity-affirming moments today on the van ride home from yet another indoor track practice at SUNY New Paltz. As we got to the toll booth at the Mid-Hudson Bridge, I handed over the two dollar bills for the $1.50 toll and reflexively asked for the toll receipt with the 50 cents' change. The friendly toll booth worker handed me the receipt AND the cash back (no change, just the two bills), informing me that the car in front of us -- we did not know them and they sped off down the hill toward the bridge -- paid our toll us.

Nicely done! I've never seen it, but I had heard of a movie called "Pay It Forward" that has to do with this subject. Upon returning to campus, I told Coach Horton and Cuesta this story; they were in the other van. Cuesta said, "now coach, you have to do something nice for someone to keep it going." I'd like to think that's my standard operating procedure, but it was a nice reminder from Cuesta -- and more importantly, from the random act of kindness of a stranger -- that quietly doing good deeds for others makes the world a better place in which to live.

No comments: