Saturday, March 28, 2015

Can a coach redshirt a season?

Those of you who are affiliated with me or my wife Heidi on Facebook are at least partially aware of my situation in terms of injury, surgery, rehab, etc. The fall that I took while running three weeks ago turned out to be a fracture that required somewhat urgent surgery, which I had on late Wednesday night. I was in the Hospital Formerly Known as St. Francis for a few days and I am now recuperating at home, where I will be for quite some time.

This has been a very emotional and trying time for me. The support that I have received from all corners of my life has been gratifying. Based on the "outpouring of love" metric, I am one of the richest men on the planet and I feel blessed. But again: This has been an extremely challenging time. My life is based mostly on being ambulatory. Now that I am not ambulatory, the shock waves physically and mentally are difficult to describe and fathom. It is putting a tremendous strain on every aspect of my world. I know it is not manly to admit this, but I have been crying a lot lately. Tears are flowing, frequently. Trying to be mentally strong, but it's not easy.

Can a coach redshirt? If so, after close to 75 seasons of coaching, I think this one will have be considered a coach's redshirt. Our team is freezing through the Monmouth meet right now. I'm at home, staring out the window on a gloomy and snowy March afternoon. To say that feels weird is beyond understatement. Based on my current condition and the long road ahead, I cannot imagine being well enough to attend track meets of any length over the coming weeks. And remember: The outdoor season is a blink of an eye, six weeks and we're done.

I don't know. Not sure if I am making sense here. For those followers of this blog, please be understanding and patient of my situation; if posts are sporadic, or messy, or lacking in accuracy, I will gladly refund your subscription ... oh wait ... it's free. Results will be posted as I can. Splits, I cannot guarantee that. There is not much I can guarantee these days, other than the feelings of loyalty and love that I have received from my athletes and others close to me. If that's all it took to heal broken bones, I'd be running laps around my house right now. But alas, no such luck right now.

2 comments:

Steve said...

Pete,

Praying for you to make a complete recovery. Hang in there. The strength you've demonstrated as a consecutive run streaker will see you back on the trails.

Take care Coach!
Steve

Mike said...

No shame in admitting the tears flow....I cry at lots of movies. And when real life sucks, like a broken leg...yeah, I'd cry too.Leslie Gore, sang it, It's my party and I'll cry if I want to! Well, she just died man. Your ticker is still ticking...so all is good there. Just a broken bone. Evil Kneival did this dozens of times!