Friday, October 3, 2014

The sky is crying ...

Just heard on the radio that today is Stevie Ray Vaughan's birthday. The great guitar hero, who died tragically at a too young age in a helicopter crash, would have been 60 years old today. I was a HUGE Stevie Ray fan. Huge. Saw him many, many times -- including once at The Chance theater in Poughkeepsie before he was big-time, and then again at the Mid-Hudson Civic Center, both during my college years. I saw him a few weeks before his death in the summer of 1990 at an outdoor venue in New Jersey. He had just cleaned up his life of abuse, and was crystal clear awesome. And then, poof, gone.

So today, in honor of SRV's memory, I share with you one of my all-time favorite YouTube videos of him from early career, the pure raw blues guitar of "Texas Flood." I hope you enjoy it.

"The sky is crying; can't you see the tears roll down the street ... "

No comments: