Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Remembering Reese: Always in the record books

Greg racing at UAlbany, I believe in the steeple. Note the old-school black uniform.
Note: This is the next in a series of posts in remembrance of Greg Salamone (Class of 2001), who passed away in October at the age of 35 after battling melanoma for eight months. 

The following is an e-mail I received from Marist Running Alum Justin Harris -- former school record holder in the 3,000-meter steeplechase, still on the current 4x800 indoor school record board, and one of the greatest competitors I ever coached. Jut is now an assistant track coach at Vassar College, and he has had great success post-collegiately as a professional triathlete. It is a wonderful tribute to Greg. Thanks for sharing it, Justin.  

Coach, 



I'm very sorry to hear about the passing of Greg. I don't believe I ever met him personally, which almost makes all the stories of him seem all the more heroic. The simple fact that he held the steeple record speaks volumes of the kind of person and athlete he was. The steeple is an odd event - we all know that. Any other event is a blend of two events. That is, there are often multiple qualities, no matter how polarizing, attribute to the success of the event. 



--400m - takes speed of the 100/200 and strength of the 800. 

--800 - takes speed of the 200/400 and strength of the 1500/3K.

--The steeple - you're either tough or you're not. 



It's that simple.



So, I don't have to know Greg to know he was tough as nails. I know you saw a lot of yourself in him - skinny, wiry, and a hard worker. And, I'm sure you were extremely proud of his 9:15 and other PRs. I specifically remember saying I wanted that record (at the time I had run 9:45) and you scoffing a bit. I was young and brash and now realize that many others said they were going to do it. I was very determined to get that record and prove to you that I was just as tough, if not tougher. I know the same thing happened with other guys and my 9:09. 



The fact that he was congratulatory of me breaking the record was a simple gesture that has resonated and inspired me. I wish people broke my record sooner - to me, that shows me that I inspired others to be better, to hold themselves to a higher standard, and to walk the walk. 



Anyway, this is not about me. This is about the serious loss to the Marist XCTF family. 



I hope you can find solace in the impact that Greg made on many of us that ran with him and even on those that came many years after him. It may say DelaCruz on that steeple record but, Greg is still there, and his stories will be told for many more years - keeping him in our own book of records.

No comments: